Wednesday, June 27, 2007

An oldie but a goodie.....Consistency.


I have been thinking about consistency in training recently and how I have been guilty of not getting on the mat regularly enough in the past. This often causes the yo-yo effect where you take two steps forward and then two-back which becomes frustrating and dis-heartening since progress slows right down to a crawl. The only way to overcome this is to get on the mat consistently, at least twice a week, so that any gains that are made are more likely to be cemented into your game when it is put under pressure. Training in BJJ is like pushing a broken down car up a hill, your either making slow and painful progress up or your sliding back down. There is no in between.

Calvin Coolidge, the 30 th President of the United States, stated this best when he remarked that:

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not - nothing is more common that unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not - unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not - the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

So the bottom line is get your rear-end on the mat more often and reap the rewards!

1 comment:

Paul said...

Having just started my BJJ journey I am indeed looking forward to plenty of mat time. I only wish that I had started 10 or more years ago when I was younger and the aches and pains of 'combat training' didn't seem to linger as long..... Having always trained in some way shape or form my entire life be it martial arts, weights, running, etc, I am a firm believer in the old saying that "you only get out what you put in". It is also a great pleasure to be welcomed so warmly and enthusiastically at the club by all.